Site management have increased their efforts to protect biodiversity rich areas on the Southern Resource Lands after a recent increase in trespassing and other illegal activities became known.
The Southern Resource Lands (SRL) is a term used to describe Holcim owned land adjacent to its currently operating quarry operations in Luscombe. It is private property beside a council road.
Over the years, Holcim has completed revegetation and protection works to prevent access following prior damage from illegal activities.
Recently the site became aware of an increase in trespassing and illegal activity such as 4WD/dirt bike drivers and campers. There has also been a couple of fires ignited on the SRL which Holcim was notified of by the Ormeau Rural Fire Brigade.
These illegal activities are not only a threat to the biodiversity on the SRL but are also a threat to local residents and their properties. Holcim has completed a number of actions to reduce these risks including:
- Raising awareness of visitors that the land is private property and trespassing is illegal by erecting a large number of new signs along Holcim’s SRL boundary. (Completed)
- Installing video surveillance with night vision capability that allows for real time monitoring and review of recorded footage following reported incidents. Footage will be provided to Police to assist any investigations. (Completed)
- Increasing CrimeStopper patrols. (Completed)
- Developing a Fire Management Plan. (Close to complete)
- Liaising with local Police through CrimeStoppers (Ongoing)
- Continual monitoring of the situation and review of protection measures to determine effectiveness. (Ongoing)
To learn more about our partnership with CrimeStoppers click here.
To view or download a brochure on CrimeStoppers/Holcim partnership click here.